Residential Programs & Tips
Saving 20 gallons a day is easier than you think. Here are some simple ways to start saving.
Indoor, No cost, easy to do
- Take shorter showers and save 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Turn off water when shaving and brushing teeth and save 2 gallons per minute.
- Wait for full loads to wash clothes and save 20 gallons per load.
- Fill your dishwasher instead of washing each dish by hand and only run the dishwasher when full and save 2 to 4 gallons per load.
- Don’t let the water run when rinsing dishes if washing by hand and save 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Don’t use the toilet as a wastebasket and save 1.6 gallons per flush.
Indoor, No or low cost, more effort required
- Fix leaky toilets and save 30 to 50 gallons per day per toilet.
- Fix leaky faucets and save 15 to 20 gallons per day per faucet.
- Install aerators on all faucets and save 15 gallons per day.
Indoor, Higher cost, most effort required
- Replace an inefficient washer with a High Efficiency Washing Machine and save 25 to 35 gallons per day.
- Replace older toilets with High Efficiency Toilets (HETs) and save 25 gallons per day.
Outdoor, No cost, easy to do
- Water before 5 AM instead of midday and save 20 gallons per day
- Adjust your irrigation schedule throughout the year, cut your irrigation to a third in the fall and turn off during most winters and save 20+ gallons per day*
- Use a broom instead of a hose to clean sidewalks and save 10 to 15 gallons per minute
Outdoor, No or low cost, more effort required
- Apply 2" to 3" of mulch around trees and plants to reduce moisture loss and save 20 gallons per day
- Adjust sprinklers to prevent overspray and runoff and save 20 to 25 gallons per day*
- Repair leaks and broken sprinkler heads and save 10 gallons per minute
Outdoor, Higher cost, most effort required
- Replace lawn with a water-wise garden and save 50 to 60 gallons/day/1,000 square feet**
- Install drip irrigation for trees, shrubs, and plants and save 20 gallons per day
- Update to a weather based irrigation controller that automatically adjusts watering times based on local weather conditions and save 30 to 40 gallons per day**
- Install a graywater laundry-to-landscape system and save 17 gallons per day***
- Install covers on pool and spas to reduce evaporation and save 30 gallons per day
- Repair pool leaks which can waste over 200 gallons per day